Wednesday, March 14, 2007

BMI might not be accurate

BMI, which is known as body mass index might beinaccurate.

I found it interesting that the BMI did not match the percentage of fat the students really had.

I had my doubts about BMI though. Muscle weighs more than fat, but it is not bad. When I ran track, I lost some weight then started to gain it again. One of my coaches pointed out it was muscle though.

Then there are a lot of people who work out a lot and have a lot of muscle. That doesn't make them overweight though.

I wonder if there is a way to really measure fat. I think each person is built differently and that could play a part. It would be interesting to see if there will be another measurement that comes from this study that will help determine the actual body fat a person has.

No comments: